Websites have come a long way since the days of dial-up internet. No more bland, blocky text on boring, blue backgrounds. In this century, professional websites are big, bold, and beautiful.
You’ve worked hard making sure your product is perfect. So, don’t sabotage your business with a poorly designed website. Get a professional business website that tells the story of your brand so compellingly that customers flock to your door.
The best part is, you can do this yourself even if right now, as you’re reading this very sentence, you don’t know how to create a website.
Creating a professional website doesn’t have to be difficult or expensive
Here at Yourwebsite.com, we’ve spent years figuring out how to take the guesswork out of creating a professional website, and we’ve come up with a process that’s simple, streamlined, and stress-free.
So, keep reading if you want to create a gorgeous, professional business website but don’t know where to start.
How to create a professional website in six easy steps:
- Think about your website’s purpose
- Choose a website builder
- Get web hosting
- Register your domain
- Make your website gorgeous
- Add basic content
1. Think about your website’s purpose
When you’re creating a professional website, you can’t just throw things at it and hope something sticks. You need to know what kind of website you want, so you don’t end up confusing your customers and having them click away from your site.
You have lots of options: Do you want your website to be a blog that shows off the fun side of your company; a portfolio that shows off well-staged photos of your work; or an online store where you can sell your products to people all over the world?
Before you start using our professional website templates to create your stunning website, you should probably put pen to paper and figure out what exactly you want your website to do.
2. Choose a website builder
If you don’t know how to code or how to create a website or how to even begin figuring out professional website design, you need a good website builder.
A website builder is a tool that lets you create your website with minimal effort. When you use a good website builder, you don’t have to know anything about coding to create a gorgeous website. Instead, the website builder gives you everything you need to create your site, and all you need to do is tweak the template until it looks the way it does in your head.
Not to brag, but we have one of the best website builders for beginners who want to create a professional business website, and here’s why:
- The best website builder makes it possible to create a gorgeous website in minutes.
- Select from over two hundred beautiful professional website designs.
- Use scalable website designs. This means our designs look stunning on screens of all sizes.
- Our professional website templates are easy to use – no coding necessary!
- Our templates give you lots of room for creativity. Because you can customize each element of the template separately, you can create a website that’s completely unique!
That’s why choosing a good website builder is so important: The right website builder lets you breeze through the process of creating a professional website.
But the next step is just as vital:
3. Get web hosting
Every website on the internet needs to be stored on a specialized computer called a server. Web hosting companies let you store your website on servers that they operate, so you don’t have to worry about the high cost of buying and maintaining your own servers.
When you get high-quality web hosting, your website loads more quickly, has less downtime, and is just more pleasant for your customers to use.
Having a well-functioning website is an essential part of your branding. If your brand prides itself on being efficient, you can’t have a website that’s always displaying some error message or the other.
When you host with us, you can expect these innovative website tools:
- Our razor-sharp, precision SEO tool that helps you outstrip your competition in search engine rankings
- SSL certificates that encrypt your customers’ data, so they feel safe leaving their personal information (and spending their money!) on your website
- Our handy website-monitoring tool that lets you monitor your uptime and sends you email alerts in real time if something goes wrong
- Top-of-the-line email hosting (In case you’re wondering why anyone would pay for email hosting when free email exists, it’s because free email doesn’t give you a customizable email domain name that silently markets your business with every email you send. Free email also doesn’t let you send the massive files you often need to send when you’re running a business, nor does it have built-in protections against sending sensitive information to the wrong people. Email hosting is one of those things where, once you get it, you’ll wonder why it took you so long.)
4. Register your domain
Part of the fun of making a website is choosing a good, catchy domain name that matches the rest of your branding. So, go on. Grab a pen and a sheet of paper and write down all the names you can think of. Sometimes, the perfect domain name comes to you after the twentieth try.
Don’t worry too much about this part of the process. It’s kind of hard to mess up a domain name if you know what product you’re selling and what you want your website to do.
You’ll be fine, as long as your domain name doesn’t have any of these common hiccups:
- It’s too long for anyone to remember;
- It makes a weird (or obscene) sentence if you read it incorrectly (To test this, hand it to a few people and have them read it aloud. If they all read it with no problem, you’re good to go. If even one person misreads it in a way that would make your grandmother blush, you need to rework your domain name);
- It doesn’t go with the rest of your branding;
- It’s rife with opportunities for misspelling (As a rule, keep our domain name short and sweet).
5. Make your website gorgeous
With so many beautiful websites floating around in cyberspace, people have gotten kind of snobby about how they expect websites to look. They’re unlikely to stick around for very long if your website looks like it was created as some kid’s Computer Science project.
You don’t need to know anything about professional website design to make a gorgeous website. Start with our professional website templates and play around until you’ve created you like.
(Tweaking our templates is so much fun, you might end up spending more time on it than you’d like to admit.)
6. Add basic content
There’ll be plenty of time for adding tons of extra content later, but for now, just make sure your website has these necessary pages:
- A landing page: This helps visitors ease into the rest of your website;
- An ‘About Us’ page: This tells the story of your brand, so you can reel customers in;
- A ‘Contact Us’ page: This way, your visitors can get in touch with you if they have questions, suggestions or praise;
- Social proof: This can come in the form of testimonials, reviews, or, if you’re very confident in your sales numbers, a simple banner that shows how many people have already bought a product. (People are more likely to buy your product if they think lots of people have already bought it.)
And that’s it! That’s everything you need to do to create a gorgeous, professional website.
Your business won’t survive for very long without a strong online presence. And it’s so easy to make a great-looking website that there’s really no reason to put off creating one that makes your competitors green with envy.